String Player Probs

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Ladies and Gentleman, I have something to confess.
Something I've never shared online before.

I am that kid from High School Musical.













Yes. I indeed play the cello. And before that I played the less giant version, the violin.

That means for pretty much my whole life I have struggled with the daily pains of being a string player so now, being the giver I am, I will share those pains with you.

1. NO NAILS ALLOWED

Ever since I was little I've bitten my nails. This was heartily encouraged in my orchestra. They must be the only places in the world where you're praised for chewing your nails off.
Due to my habit, only being allowed to have short nails was no problem for me. Unlike my sister who almost every lesson had to have her long nails forcibly reduced by our conductor.

However as I got older, on special occasions I would splash out on a lovely french manicure which would last about 12 seconds due to the strings chipping away the paint or my teacher chasing me with her nail scissors because I physically couldn't play with the long nails.

2. CRAZY MUSIC TEACHERS

Is it just me or are all music teachers super intense?!
I've found this with dance teachers too to be honest- they're all crazy!

Like you'll miss one rehearsal and your teacher threatens to replace you or tells you how you'll never amount to anything in life.

At the age of 7.

3. CONCERTS KILL

Concerts are like the most pivotal moments of your life. Or at least that's how your teacher makes it out.
To be honest I think the real way concerts kill you is the uniform.
Neat, all-black is our concert dress. And in case you didn't know, black clothes absorb heat making you feel so hot.

This is especially great when stage lights are boiling you half to death and and you're already sweating from nerves.

I have to say, the worst example of this was when I did a concert in Germany during the summer and I kid you not it was 45 degrees (113 F). I legitimately died that day.
It was genuinely a miracle none of us passed out fro heatstroke during that concert.

4. TRANSPORT

Transport has to be the number 1 irritant for string players.
Or at least cellists and double bassists.

"Yes I do wish I'd chosen a smaller instrument like a flute" I answer for the billionth time as I throw my cello on my back and try to get through the train ticket barriers.

Unsuccessfully.

5. DOLLA

I think this has to be the biggest problem for string players.
The fact that everything is so damn expensive!
Like jeez! £20 music books to use one piece from, £10 black hole, £8 resin, £30 strings- each. (yeah thats 4 btw- oh and you need spares!), £400 case, £300 bow and I won't even mention how much the cello actually is!

Basically being a string player is irritating, expensive and just not worth it.

Except that it definitely is worth it because I love my cello more than anything.

Screw this post, Cellos Rule!




Comments

Popular Posts